[lbo-talk] Chomsky v Marko

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 18:31:51 PST 2005

M.A. Hoare wrote:

> Indeed; Stalin was the lesser evil in comparison to Hitler, and
> therefore the Anglo-American alliance with the USSR against Nazism was
> justified. But thank goodness it was the Americans and British, not
> the Soviets, who liberated Western Europe ! Otherwise, the West
> Europeans would have suffered the tyranny and oppression to which the
> East Europeans were subjected during the Cold War...

I was born in Romania in 1954. It was not heaven to be sure; there was political repression, this is true. There was also free medical care, free child care, nearly free housing, nearly free transportation, and free and excellent public education. The ascent and crimes of Ceausescu had nothing to do with Romania's "communist" regime as it had to do with the absence of democracy. At any rate, when I lived in Bucharest there were not thousands of children living in its sewers, as there are now.

Joanna