[lbo-talk] We do not need an exit strategy. We need an exit.

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Nov 20 11:48:31 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org> -You give a shit about Iraqis? Then demand an immediate pullout of U.S. -troops out of the Middle East. Let the people in that region have some -fucking self-determination for a fucking change.

What is "self-determination"?

Letting Saudi-funded Al Qaeda fighters and Iranian-funded Shiites fight it out?

"Self determination" is one of the lamest slogans of the isolationist left. It pretends that any country these days isn't penetrated by a mass of outside forces-- military, political and economic -- and there is no such thing.

Military intervention may be clumsy and stupid, but it is self-delusion to believe that if you remove US troops, you remove outside intervention in a country, including by US corporate interests that will just cut deals with whatever remaining outside players maintain control of Iraq after US forces leave.

-- Nathan