[lbo-talk] We do not need an exit strategy. We need an exit.

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Nov 20 17:13:19 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck0" <chuck at mutualaid.org>

Nathan Newman wrote:
> So when you were accused of being a cop, was that just people being
> metaphorical? They might claim it-- and a lot of red-baiting and
> cop-baiting are just claimed to be "metaphorical" but it's still one of
> the
> lower forms of insult.

-Do you really think both cases are identical? We all know that Michael -doesn't work for the Democrats, but my metaphor is directed at his -arguments which sound like they come from the Democrats. The people who -spread rumors that I am a cop, on the other hand, did so to destroy my -reputation. I think I'm entitled to a personal attack once in a while. Michael is a -tough guy who can handle my barbed comments.

I'm not arguing against some tough attacks back and forth, but I'm just arguing that the particular form of accusing others of fronting for some other group is particularly insidious. It feeds rumors for those who don't know the people involved -- and remember that LBO is quite available to the whole universe by Google -- so don't assume your comment will be so understood as metaphorical.

But even if folks don't believe its truth, it's just one of the more empty arguments since it's a way to avoid dealing with an argument to say someone is paid by those they may be defending, as if you can't even conceive of someone making a reasonable argument in their defense. It's just a way to duck away from actually engaging the argument. So it's not just a dangerous kind of insult, it's one of the most vacuous insults.

Nathan Newman