[lbo-talk] No need to quiz AQ Khan on Iran: US

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Nov 21 08:04:17 PST 2005

THE TIMES OF INDIA

Sunday, November 20, 2005

No need to quiz AQ Khan on Iran: US

PTI

WASHINGTON: Giving yet another clean chit to Pakistan, the US has said it does not need to question nuclear scientist AQ Khan in light of reports that the father of Pakistan's atomic programme helped Iran in enriching Uranium.

When asked if in the context of the latest statements of Tehran on Uranium conversion, it was necessary to get back to Khan and question him afresh, state department acting spokesperson Adam Ereli said, "I wouldn't make that connection."

"...Obviously we continue to...tie up loose ends on the AQ Khan issue but we've... pretty much gotten to the bottom of it, although obviously it's an issue that continues to be of interest to us," he said.

"And what we need to see with regard to Iran, which is different from the AQ Khan investigation, is a complete and transparent accounting from Iran about its nuclear programme which we haven't gotten...," he said.

"...In our dealings with Pakistan, we are satisfied with the kind of cooperation we've gotten."

Copyright © 2005 Times Internet Limited.