[lbo-talk] more news from the motherland...

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Mon Nov 21 08:30:01 PST 2005

joanna wrote:
> Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> While I'm at it, here's something that's been
>> bothering me. Normally I edit translations of Russian
>> scientific papers, but also often stuff that has been
>> sent to us in English from various non-Russophone
>> places. The material from India almost invariably is
>> in atrocious English. Why is this? I thought English
>>
> I've puzzled over this myself. There has been a fair amount of
> outsourcing of tech writing to India and the stuff I have seen has a lot
> of problems. No idea where "the"s should go, weird syntax, etc.

The reasons are probably the usual: the outsource company probably hires the cheapest they can get and that probably means someone with just about enough knowledge of English to get along...

Of course on the other end of the spectrum is the contrived verbosity of the over-educated anglophile (A few of my uncle's come to mind ;-)). Where my own rants fall I leave to you to evaluate...

--ravi