[lbo-talk] A truly bizarre and pathetic exchange

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Nov 21 17:18:01 PST 2005

boddi satva

I don't even inderstand what Rumsfeld was trying to do here (He was on with Stephanopoulos this Sunday):

"STEPHANOPOULOS: If you had known that no weapons of mass destruction would be found, would you have advocated invasion?

RUMSFELD: I didn't advocate invasion.

STEPHANOPOULOS: You didn't?

RUMSFELD: No, I wasn't asked. If you read all the books and the things -

STEPHANOPOULOS: Why weren't you asked? That's very puzzling.

RUMSFELD: Well, I'm sure the president understood what my views were. But as a technical matter, did he ever look and say, "What should we do? Should we go do this or not do that?" This something the president thought through very carefully.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Are you trying to distance yourself from the war with that -

RUMSFELD: Of course not. Of course not. I agreed completely with the decision to go to war and said that a hundred times. And don't - don't even suggest that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: I'm just asking.

RUMSFELD: Well, you know better."

As the kids say,: "WTF?"

Just run of the mill bullshit. The key is Rumsfeld's final statement that Stephanopoulos knew better, as in: "You know better than to ask me questions like that. I won't answer those questions in a million years, and if I have to, I'll sit right here and start speaking in tongues. So, asshole, serve up some softballs so we can get this thing over with."