[lbo-talk] A truly bizarre and pathetic exchange

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 15:36:52 PST 2005

On Monday, November 21, 2005 4:45 PM [PDT], boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't even inderstand what Rumsfeld was trying to do here (He was on
> with Stephanopoulos this Sunday):
>
> "STEPHANOPOULOS: If you had known that no weapons of mass destruction
> would be found, would you have advocated invasion?
>
> RUMSFELD: I didn't advocate invasion.
>
> STEPHANOPOULOS: You didn't?
>
> RUMSFELD: No, I wasn't asked. If you read all the books and the
> things —
>
> STEPHANOPOULOS: Why weren't you asked? That's very puzzling.
>
> RUMSFELD: Well, I'm sure the president understood what my views were.
> But as a technical matter, did he ever look and say, "What should we
> do? Should we go do this or not do that?" This something the president
> thought through very carefully.
>
> STEPHANOPOULOS: Are you trying to distance yourself from the war with
> that –
>
> RUMSFELD: Of course not. Of course not. I agreed completely with the
> decision to go to war and said that a hundred times. And don't — don't
> even suggest that.
>
> STEPHANOPOULOS: I'm just asking.
>
> RUMSFELD: Well, you know better."
>

> As the kids say,: "WTF?"

Disingenuity is job #1.

He was talking him in circles and sayng nothing.

That's Donald Rumsfeld's job and he does it superbly! There have been books printed with hundreds of his "WTF"s in it.

The trick to making it work is to not care if intelligent people understand and complain that he ISN'T saying anything, and continuing on, because the intelligent citizens aren't his target audience anyway.

It also called unmitigated arrogance.

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml