[lbo-talk] Thing Doug asked me

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 08:29:42 PST 2005

A couple of months ago Doug asked me on list about incomes in Moscow vs. outside Moscow, to which I answered anecdotally. What I should have done is jaunt over to the Russian State Statistics Committee's neat-o interactive income map (http://www.gks.ru/gis/D_02.htm ). Data are for January--August of 2005. It's in Russian, and I'm not going to put down the data for all 89 administrative districts, but I type a few below. As you van see, the idea that Moscow is super-affluent and every place else is mired in poverty is something of a myth, though it should be noticed that the real high-income regions have low populations and are heavy on natural resources. Chukotka in particular is Abramovich's feifdom. Sakha has a population of about a million in an area larger than India.

Average monthly income in Russian regions, official data, in rubles. Exchange rate is about 28 rubles to the dollar.

http://www.gks.ru/gis/D_02.htm

Chukotka Autonomous Region 20,139.7

Tyuman Oblast 19,005.1

Moscow City 12,964.4