[lbo-talk] Thing Doug asked me

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 08:59:04 PST 2005

Used to be in the old days that the Soviet govt paid a high premium to get workers to live and work in Siberia and other out of the way places where labor was short. Don't know if the Russian govt has maintained this policy, but it looks to me like it has. However, in the waning days of perestroika and under Yeltsin a lot of times workers didn't get paid at all, they worked, literally, for food served in the plant cafeteria, taking home enough for the family. (Rent was low and rarely collected and the utilities didn't turn off heat and power, etc. Though there was one instance of a utility threatening to shut down the power at a missle base if the Strategic Rocket Forces didn't pay up . . . .) Don't know any more how regularly wages are paid. Chris?