[lbo-talk] myth in Kansas

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Nov 23 09:27:31 PST 2005

Chuck0

Mark Bennett wrote:

> Well, I suppose that the primary justification for battling the
> religious right on these matters is that the assholes won't stop with
> intelligent design, or with outlawing abortion. If they prevail on
> ID, they will then try to suppress formal instruction in evolutionary
> theory; just as they won't stop with overruling Roe v. Wade: after
> Roe, they'll go after Griswold and contraception. So it's something of

> a "fight 'em now, or fight 'em later" dilemma.

I like fighting them because they suck.

It also relieves decades of frustration from being forced to go to a religious school and churches. I became the person I am today IN SPITE of constant efforts to turn me into a ignorant religious person.

Fuck religion!

I understand, and sympathize with, your sentiment. As the result of a series of events I still find hard to credit, I spent one-half of the eighth grade and all of the ninth grade attending Christian High School of San Diego, established and presided over by none other than Tim LaHaye himself (at the time, we students were required to attend thrice-weekly "chapel" services at which The Great Man delivered up inhumanly boring sermons on various theological and political topics: trust me when I tell you that a more inept preacher has never ascended the pulpit.) Fortunately, I was expelled near the end of my freshman year; however, the bizarre experience left me with a life-long loathing for anything remotely related to "Christianity" in general, and "Bible-based Christianity" in particular. What these people need is a good dose Diocletian-style persecution and martyr-making.