[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:35:05 PST 2005

It's just appalling to compare American soldiers - often kids from underprivileged circumstances and National Guardsmen who mainly serve to do terrible things like save people from floods - to Nazi soldiers who followed what here would be illegal orders to exterminate civilians. You do remember that our troops agree to follow the LEGAL orders of an ELECTED government, no? That's not just a little different from committing murder on the behalf of a dictator?

Deserters are "wonderful" but there's nothing honorable or worthy of thanks in agreeing to take the risk that your country might ask you to serve in a way that is both dangerous and with which you might not agree, is that it?

And by the way there are plenty of people in the armed forces who disagree vociferously with Bush and say it loudly and whenever they can. I am personal friends with a guy who risked his commission by working tirelessly on a political campaign (against general orders) in order to try and get himself - and America - a new commander-in-chief. I exchanged a harrowing phone call with a young guy from the Stryker Brigade - from his barracks at Fort Lewis - who was so upset with the Bush administration that he was tearfully considering going AWOL. He didn't do it only because he felt he couldn't do something that would dishearten his comrades just before they all shipped out.

Maybe you need to live somewhere where there are more people in the military.

So when I thank the uniformed personell I am clear with them that I am against the war and if it was up to me we wouldn't be shipping out to Iraq or have had to be over there. They have been uniformly thankful for the sentiment. Very few of them are eager for this mission, in my experience, and most of the veterans I've met support their comrades overseas but that's pretty much the extent of their support.

I really don't understand what you'd like these soldiers to do. Drop their guns and run for Syria? Sneak off their bases and start some communes in Kuwait? Or should they do what they committed to do (almost all of them having made this commitment before they could have had an opportunity to question the war they would be called on to fight) and get themselves and their fellow soldiers back home in one piece?

You really need to re-think this.

boddi