[lbo-talk] Happy Thanksgiving, you dopes

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 13:35:36 PST 2005

Comrades,

Happy Thanksgiving.

I hope that for one day of the year you can retire your sense of class conflict, injustice and man's history of violence and enjoy a dinner with family and friends. Say what you like about America, but we are still the only society where a brand-new citizen is, in a very real sense, equal to a member of a founding family of this nation the moment he swears that oath. Yes, we have a culture that is not necessarily inclusive and the traditional Thanksgiving table is an example of that culture. But it also shows how our culture is inclusive culture is inclusive. The menu may be based on species native to the Americas - Sweet potatoes, Turkey, pecans, cranberries - but the characteristic of a Thanksgiving table is a profusion of side dishes - often new introductions, from manicotti to things with the spices of Madras curry.

The spirit of the holiday is one of inclusion, even an (admittedly perverse) effort to include Native Americans. We may be a chaotic mess here, but the ethic of a national day of breaking bread together is an honorable and a worthy thing.

Best wishes and Happy Thanksgiving,

boddi