[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 15:19:27 PST 2005

On 11/24/05, boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, many Nazi soldiers were draftees and we prosecuted realtively few
> people of lower rank (compared to their overall numbers). There were
> even Nazi draftees and officers who rejected their orders at times as
> illegal. I don't think the fact that there were Nazi draftees does
> anything but strengthen my point. Voluntary participation in war for
> one's society has been expected from citizens at least since the days
> of Greece and Rome.

Your original argument was one of expressing "gratitude" to members of the military on every conceivable occassion. Do you take the same opportunity with firefighters who face much greater risks than the military (compare occupation death rates) and who protect from far greater dangers? Also firefighters, (unlike our military) are not primarily instruments of agression; our military protects us only as a side affect of agression if it protects us at all. I have great sympathy for our young people in the military; I have none for their mission, though I understand my view of what that mission is , is drastically different from theirs.