[lbo-talk] Happy Thanksgiving, you dopes

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 10:43:51 PST 2005

After living in this country for more than forty years, Thanksgiving (TG) is finally starting to make some sense to me. There is no doubt that it is THE American religious holiday. It is SO important, that it is the only holiday that gets you TWO days off work. That's one reason why it's so beloved.

Another reason people like it is because it gives you no choice whatsoever. You have to eat certain things: turkey, potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry something, pumpkin pie.... This is very restful for a culture of choice. I once cooked duck for Tanksgiving and my kids were almost too shocked to be upset. But then they were very upset and did not cease to mention it for years afterward.

Finally, it's a pot-luck, communal, family, soap-opera kind of day where skeletons are brought out of the closet, given a gentle shake, and put back in until next year. There's even a good movie about an Ur-TG with Holly Hunter, Robert Downey Jr, Geraldine Chaplin, and Anne Bancroft called "Home for the Holidays." Check it out!

Joanna

P.S. Brining the turkey is a good idea, but if you add sherry, don't cook it as long cause the sherry partly "cooks" it.