[lbo-talk] Happy Thanksgiving, you dopes

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri Nov 25 10:50:55 PST 2005

At 10:28 AM 11/25/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Chris Doss wrote:
>
>>Ditto. Thanksgiving is the best US holiday.
>
>WBAI did 8 hours of anti-Thanksgiving programming yesterday. We listened
>to some of it, featuring Jim Craven. They're absolutely right on the
>historical point - the holiday's relation to genocide, and the
>foundational crimes of the USA. But I really doubt you're going to win any
>friends this way. People like Thanksgiving, and it seems to me a real
>uphill climb to persuade the masses to the contrary. Craven even implied
>that a lot of Indians celebrate the holiday.
>
>Doug

Because it's a freakin' signifier -- and they slip. It's no longer associated with murdering Native Americans and I really don't know anyone, no matter how conservative, who isn't ashamed of that in our past. Jeez! Even John Gorentz, one of the cons I link to on the blog, understands this. So, now it's a day to get the hell out of work, prepare for the holidays, get drunk, engage in rituals, and, yeah, take time out to give thanks to people in your life. we need to do that every so often. every culture does.

christ. if the anarchists had 90 billion seattles and wiped out capitalism and the state, they'd be having their own freakin' form of thanksgiving, as would other kinds of lefties. they'd be giving thanks for having won, for the sacrifice of the fallen during the struggle to whatever utopia we were fighting for.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org