[lbo-talk] Happy Thanksgiving, you dopes

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Nov 25 11:17:50 PST 2005

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> christ. if the anarchists had 90 billion seattles and wiped out
> capitalism and the state, they'd be having their own freakin' form of
> thanksgiving, as would other kinds of lefties. they'd be giving thanks
> for having won, for the sacrifice of the fallen during the struggle to
> whatever utopia we were fighting for.

I'm thankful that stations like WBAI exist so they can put a stick into the dominant paradigm of Americanism. I also agree with PB/K that we would have our own holidays if the revolution came. Hell, why wait? Instead of grousing about what Thanksgiving means and its history, let's subvert it and reappropriate it. Activists are already doing this with things like Santarchy, which is turning Christmas season into a drunken debauchery. Buy Nothing Day is a take on Thanksgiving, but as a poor person, given that every day for me is Buy Nothing Day, I'd like to enjoy a few more Buy Something Days.

I like the food of Thanksgiving, but I hate the family aspect of the holiday. I'd rather see a feast day with friends and family.

I enjoyed a nice T-day dinner last night with lots of veggies. Later I got together with a bunch of expatriate Kansas City anarchists and we stayed up late talking about politics, porn, sex, activism and so on.

It's much more fun to subvert holidays than to be grumpy about them.

Chuck