[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 27 12:10:14 PST 2005

Leigh Meyers wrote:

> He's done quite the turn around in the last year or so, doesn't blink
> when I use the word fascist to describe the current situation, whereas
> few here seems to think the term applies to the US government.

You probably don't understand the grounds for rejecting the term fascism for the U.S. To reject that term does _not_ constitute a defense of the u.s. government, or even any doubt about the extreme dangers to even minimal civil liberties under present conditions. I won't review the whole debate here. All rabbits are mammals. Hence foxes are rabbits. Fascism is a police state. The U.S. is becoming a police state, but of a different species than fascism.

Calling the u.s. fascist blinds us to the real dangers we face. Every time a leftist calls Bush a fascist he/she aids in the destruction of democracy in the u.s. You are screaming about the non-existent wolf at the front door while a pack of tigers and cobras are coming in the back door.

Carrol