[lbo-talk] a history of capitalist success models

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 27 22:10:40 PST 2005

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com Thu Nov 24 03:53:31 PST 2005 <snip>
> > The idea implicit in my post is this: At a time when the image of
> > India being promoted (and the opinion available) both internally and
> > abroad is one of a neo-capitalist economic boom (an image that
> > serves Western conservatives quite well), alternate viewpoints and
> > data provide a more nuanced picture.
>
> I am not sure what 'neo-capitalist' means. Nor am I certain that
> the interests of Western conservatives, whoever they may be, are
> best served by projecting India as a vibrant modern economy rather
> than a country of elephants and snake charmers. Today's world is
> far too complex to fit into these simple patterns of causation.

Each period of post-WW2-boom capitalism found its model of ascendant capitalism, hyped by some (who tout it as an example that other nations ought to emulate) and feared by others (who worry about trade deficits). It was once Japan. Then it was the "Asian Tigers." Now it's China and India. What is noteworthy, though, is that the standard of capitalist success, measured by the wellbeing of the population of the model capitalist nation featured by the media, has progressively gone down. :->

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>