[lbo-talk] More Rumsfeldian Slapstick

Ira Glazer ira at yanua.com
Mon Nov 28 06:13:06 PST 2005

I know this is a bit old -- about a week or so -- bur humor is always welcome. Tell me that this doesn't rmind you of an Abbott and Costello routine.

http://www.warandpiece.com/blogdirs/003124.html

(from an interview with wolf blitzer on cnn)

Video Clip of Rumsfeld speaking:

We do have solid evidence of the presence in Iraq of Al Qaida members, including some that have been in Baghdad. We have what we consider to be very reliable reporting of senior-level contacts going back a decade and of possible chemical and biological agent training. When I say contacts, I mean between Iraq and Al Qaida.

(end video clip)

Blitzer: That was a mistake?

Rumsfeld: No. Zarqawi was in there. It was clearly -- there clearly were Al Qaida in and around Iraq.

Blitzer: You believe that to this day?

Rumsfeld: Zarqawi was physically in Baghdad.

Blitzer: But...

Rumsfeld: They were operating...

Blitzer: Was he then -- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi -- associated directly with Al Qaida?

Rumsfeld: No, probably not.