[lbo-talk] Uniform Fetish

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 28 06:20:11 PST 2005

Dwayne wrote:
> Again, the focus is on obedience. The thank you should be
> explicitly phrased so its background 'concerns' are clear: thank
> you soldiers, for not rebelling against your commanders.
>
> In Boddi's view (and correct me if I'm wrong) the proper place to
> question immoral aggression is via the democratic process, not at
> the level of individual resistance by soldiers.
>
> Needless to say, this is a liberal argument and not a radical one
> built as it is upon the belief that the US' democratic structures
> are effective as a means for determining military action.
>
> A prediction: you, Boddi, will respond that these structures are
> indeed sound inasmuch as we elect our representatives and can
> express our displeasure with national policy through them.

Obedience is certainly a question, but the way Boddi says he goes about thanking soldiers suggests not so much the extolling of obedience as a virtue as Boddi's own uniform fetish:

Boddi says, "You better believe I never miss an opportunity to thank people in uniform" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo- talk/Week-of-Mon-20051121/025564.html>); and "I thank soldier in uniform (active duty) and people I know to have recently served" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of- Mon-20051121/025653.html>).

Just because some men are in uniform, however, doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing "hard, shitty things that most people are unwilling to do" (at <http://mailman.lbo- talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20051121/025564.html>). For all he knows, the men in uniform that he meets may just as well be back from Japan, Germany, South Korea, etc., pushing paper at work and visiting brothels in off hours. On the other hand, the sort of people that Boddi doesn't get around to thanking -- homeless, unemployed, etc., OUT OF UNIFORM -- may well be combat veterans who have served as honorably as they could under the circumstances, whether in just or unjust wars.

That is nearly double the 14,957 veterans collecting jobless benefits in August 2002.

(Andrea Hopkins, "More U.S. Veterans Claim Unemployment Insurance," Reuters, 30 August 2005, <http://www.ngwrc.org/index.cfm? page=Article&ID=2045>)</blockquote>

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>