[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 28 07:55:13 PST 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Maybe the grunts stand morally condemned in the eyes
> of God for being Bad. Leave that to God. Our problem
> is different. Why does it take a libveral democratic
> like me to point out this basic and obvious Marxist
> precept?

I'm in agreement, but let me point out that this thread was distorted from the beginning by the fact that it was initiated by b.s., who seems to want us to go around grabbing everyone in uniform by the lapels and breathing protestation of undying love and gratitude into his/her face. Few if any in the anti-war movement _attacked_ Vietnam vets, and nearly all of us were quite sympathetic and polite if we found ourselves in the presence of vets. Also, most of the people who fought for Veterans rights over the decades had been anti-war.

Let's split this. There are conversations among anti-war organizers and there are conversations between anti-war organizers and others. (The others of course need to be sub-divided, but that is not relevant here.) And in the former conversation we do need to focus on the fact that the presence of u.s. troops in Iraq is an unalloyed evil, and the ones carrying out that evil are u.s. troops. But, even in that conversation there is really no room for the word "responsibility," which has become within capitalism an unalloyed evil litself. So no -- I don't care to run around trying to assess "responsibility." That is a mug's game.

Carrol