[lbo-talk] dating services and the left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 28 12:45:20 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Justin:
>

>> It's possibe that the _need_ for such services
>> reflects the second sort of problem in with capitalism
>> in the abstract, that human binds with ones neighbors,
>> co-workers, and such are broken, but even if that is
>> true,w hy shoukd people be confined in the circle of
>> potential dates and mates to those whom they know
>> because of proximity>
>
>Exactly. Those who bemoan the "commodification" and "marketization" of
>dating should keep in mind that the alternatives are either dating "the
>guy/gal next door" which is a form of inbreeding, or the family elders
>making that decision for their offspring, usually female, which is a form of
>feudal bondage and patriarchy.

Yup. Why couldn't we see this as one of the progressive aspects of capitalism, which allows people to break out of their immediate circumstances and make the acquaintance of people on the other side of the state, country, world? Why is is to wonderful to limit the universe of potential lovers & friends to your immediate environs?

Doug