[lbo-talk] dating services and the left

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Mon Nov 28 16:06:06 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> ...Those who bemoan the "commodification" and "marketization"

> of dating should keep in mind that the alternatives are either

> dating "the guy/gal next door" which is a form of inbreeding,

> or the family elders making that decision for their offspring,

> usually female, which is a form of feudal bondage and patriarchy.

Besides, what's the commodity? what's being marketized? Dating isn't being made into a commodity; what members get, in passing, is a free medium of communication. I say "in passing" because it's free for members who use it to make friends and meet potential dating partners. All members "pay" is exposure to an ad or two; they're not the real customers, they're just an advertising audience. Whatever marketization takes place is between the OK Cupid company and the people who buy the banner ads.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net