[lbo-talk] Poll: Americans oppose Senate criticism of war - is this nonsense?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:03:16 PST 2005

> Hmm, googling turns up their collaboration with uber-pundit Charlie
> Cook. But this doesn't seem to be one of those.
>
> To ask the question is to bias the results (assuming "morale" and
> "troops" were in the question). If you'd asked if criticism of
> presidential decisions was patriotic, you'd probably get mostly
> yes's. And the sequence of the questions would matter for the rest of
> the poll's answers.

Exact wording of the two questions:

"PtP1. Thinking about the war in Iraq, when Democratic Senators criticize the President's policy on the war in Iraq, do you believe it HELPS the morale of our troops in Iraq or HURTS the morale of our troops in Iraq? (IF HELPS/HURTS, ASK:) And do you believe it (HURTS/HELPS) morale A LOT or just SOME?"

"PtP2. When Democrats criticize the President's policy in Iraq, do you believe they (ROTATE) "Criticizing the President's policy because they believe their criticisms will help the United States' efforts in Iraq, OR, Criticizing the President's policy to gain a partisan political advantage?

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net