[lbo-talk] Fwd: [anti-allawi-group] The anti-war movement and same-sex marriage

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 10:11:56 PST 2005

The article Michael P quotes below is idiotic in objecting to SS marriage, since it really has nothing to do with marriage -- is it only married people who raise kids?, would constitute, if valid, an objection to adoption, divorce, or remarriage, and ignores the effects of children on being raised in households where parents are miserable because they are incompatble, a partner is abusive, or one partner's sexuality (or both) is repressed. So the guy is a moron.

At the same time the political point that crucial tactical alliances on single issues are necessarily and possible with people with whom we disgaree on fundamentals. If the libertarians (who oppose the war) and the Prolifers for Peace (a real group) and the Homophobes Against Imperialism (not a real group) will work with us against the war, what are we supposed to do, say Go Away? We can do the anti-war work together and argue with each other about the other issues.

The point is especially important in this conrtext because we need the support of working class, military, and minority constitutencies that overwhelmingly oppose gay marriage.

jks

=== message truncated ===

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com