[lbo-talk] the underprivileged soldier?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 29 11:48:44 PST 2005

John Lacny wrote:

>What's the percentage of unincarcerated young black men who are in
>the military, vs. the percentage of unincarcerated young white men
>who are in the military?
>
>Until someone runs these numbers, I would suggest that everyone else
>shut up about all the great alternative, non-military options facing
>young men of color in this country, and about how recruits join the
>military out of pure "choice," because economic compulsion couldn't
>possibly be part of the equation. I really do not care to read
>anymore bullshit, sophist apologetics for this racist society along
>the lines of the Heritage Foundation. Thanks.

Wow, wasn't that a thoughtful blast?! Do you feel better now?

No one said anything about "great" alternatives to the military. But the fact is that the military is more or less a cross-section of American society. Slightly poorer than average, slightly darker, but not all that much so. And, it seems, better educated than average. I know it was a Heritage guy that ran the numbers, but until you can find some actual fault with them, you don't really have much to say.

Oh, and a lot of people sign up for the military because they believe in it, and don't share your view of American society. That's not the way I'd like it, but that's the way it is. Unless, of course, you have some evidence to the contrary, which I doubt.

Doug