[lbo-talk] the underprivileged soldier?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 29 19:44:08 PST 2005

amadeus amadeus wrote:

> Wojtek Sokolowski <wsokol52 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> In fact, I belive that abolition of the
> efficient and professional armed forces - such as
> those of the US - would be a bad thing, leading to
> anarchy and gangsterism. Wojtek

W can be humorous at times. Under what conditions and by what power does he fancy such an abolition being carried out. This sort of fantasizing is what I have come to call sandbox politics -- playing mental games with various outcomes in complete abstraction from any even hypothetical process which might produce the desired/undesired outcome in question.

As one might proclaim, "I really believe that it would be bad if the sun didn't rise tomorrow." Though the serious military analysts are now suggesting that that "efficient and professional armed force"is being destroyed in Iraq. Perhaps the sun won't rise tomorrow.

> I believe this is the conundrum of most pacifists-- raise the fear of
> workers, poor, and people of color roaming the streets with guns,
> reappropriating commodities and possibly the means of production
> itself, and they become law-and-or! der Reaganites real quick.
> Suddenly we're back to the 2nd international at WWI. Same crap,
> different clothes and hair, worse music.

Are you suggesting that the 2nd international marched to the tune of the 'Jupiter' Symphony? :-)

Carrol