[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Ylle ylle521 at highstream.net
Wed Nov 30 12:03:08 PST 2005

At 02:12 PM 11/30/05, Wojtek wrote:

>but I think the opposite is true - because our society is so homogenized,

>streamlines and rationalized, having an identity is a way of standing out in

>the crowd, drawing attention and yelling "look at me, I am special." That

>is why the main thing in adopting an identity is its shock value for the

>targeted audience -

Adopting an identity is not always about "shock value". I dont identify myself as a feminist or leftist to others to "shock" them. Those are identities. And I think that most of the time it *is* about fitting in, finding a place to belong. Getting into "a room". You may shock others, depending on the kind of identity and who's looking on, but most identities we assume make fitting in the with the mainstream easier, and they act as grease for slipping thru society. Think of one of the biggest battles in this society's present culture wars: gay marriage. It's over allowing people who openly claim one identity, unconventional/minority sexuality, to openly and legally claim another in addition: legal spouse, with all the good and bad that comes with it, a fundamental identity to our culture.

Maria