[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Rotating Bitch info at pulpculture.org
Wed Nov 30 12:33:45 PST 2005

At 03:03 PM 11/30/2005, Ylle wrote:
>At 02:12 PM 11/30/05, Wojtek wrote:
>
> >but I think the opposite is true - because our society is so homogenized,
> >streamlines and rationalized, having an identity is a way of standing out in
> >the crowd, drawing attention and yelling "look at me, I am special." That
> >is why the main thing in adopting an identity is its shock value for the
> >targeted audience -
>
>Adopting an identity is not always about "shock value". I dont identify
>myself as a feminist or leftist to others to "shock" them. Those are
>identities. And I think that most of the time it *is* about fitting in,
>finding a place to belong. Getting into "a room". You may shock others,
>depending on the kind of identity and who's looking on, but most
>identities we assume make fitting in the with the mainstream easier, and
>they act as grease for slipping thru society. Think of one of the
>biggest battles in this society's present culture wars: gay
>marriage. It's over allowing people who openly claim one identity,
>unconventional/minority sexuality, to openly and legally claim another in
>addition: legal spouse, with all the good and bad that comes with it, a
>fundamental identity to our culture.

You're trying to get through to someone who prides himself on being on the list, hoping to shock a homogenized left by taking the positions he takes, who revels in his outsiderness, and who's always reaching around, gumby-like, to pat himself on the back for it.

heh.

W.O.T.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose stylings, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org