[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 30 13:36:57 PST 2005

Kelley:
> You're trying to get through to someone who prides himself on being on the
> list, hoping to shock a homogenized left by taking the positions he takes,
> who revels in his outsiderness, and who's always reaching around,
> gumby-like, to pat himself on the back for it.

I think you got it all wrong, Kelley. I do not have any particular identity, especially one defined in relation to this list (pro or con). I simply use this list in a way I would use a café in Europe - to meet like-minded people and chat about stuff of mutual interest. I have no intention of shocking or impressing anybody, as it does not affect my life in any way, but when I see or hear bullshit that is particularly annoying I simply speak my mind up - just like opining on, say, a recently screened movie, a play, or a book.

Is someone wants to identify him- or her-self as, say, an angry white man, and angry black man, a lesbian avenger, a professional cocksucker, an American patriot, a Jew for Jesus, a gangsta, a fudgepacker for Packers, a Christian for 20 years to life - or any of those ready-made labels supplied by the cultural commodity industry - that is his or her business. But if that someone is constantly rubbing that label into other people's faces, that becomes annoying after a while, and people will simply get pissed and swat the annoying pest like a fly. That is all that is into it - it certainly does not mean that they assume a counter-identity.

Wojtek