[lbo-talk] Citigroup acquires China's bad assets worth 36.4 billion yuan

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:38:29 PST 2005

Just to add, Banks these days look at packages or groups of loans. They bundle loans together in legal entities and then sell shares of these bundled loans as securities, or they syndicate the loans with other banks (basically the same idea, there is just no paper security involved). But for loans to stay in these bundled arrangements they have to be "performing" loans, which basically means the borrower can't have missed too many payments of have a financial change of status that threatens to put him in default on the terms of the loans.

Essentially "bad" loans are loans which are no longer possible to bundle and sell or syndicate because there are too many problems. But these loans can vary widely in the problems they have. There can be anything from, say, a building owner who has stopped paying his loan altogether but has assets that might even be pretty near the loan amount to a factory that missed too many payments and got its credit downgraded but still makes payments and is a candidate for a "workout" to real deadbeats who might be a total loss. Basically these are loans where there have been so many problems that banks have to administer them individually. Different national laws make bad loan situations unique. For example, for many years it was extremely hard for a Japanese bank to put a defaulting borrower into Bankruptcy. So they'd have customers (often in real estate) who just stopped paying but still had very valuable assets - it was just really hard for the bank to get their hands on those assets in order to get paid back.

Interestingly, banks that buy bad loans may actually leave the administration to the original banks that issued the loan. They just provide the original bank capital now in exchange for a premium on the relatively unpredictable proceeds that will eventually come from the "bad" loans.

The other consideration is that the bank that buys the loans may either have or want the bank that originated the loans as a customer - or as a potential takeover target. They stabilize the originating bank's balance sheet so that the originating bank becomes a more predictable, stable entity and source of revenue - sort of like offering the originating bank a refinancing on its debt to put it on more stable footing.

boddi