[lbo-talk] JetBlue: Outsourcing Our Safety

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 18:56:28 PDT 2005

>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>But formal regulation is irrelevent if the actual maintenance is being done
>in countries where US inspectors don't operate.
>
>Regulation is not some Platonic form-- it's often dependent on workers
>being
>able to blow the whistle on employers violating the law, since the
>government has too few inspectors. If workers rights are weak, formal
>regulation has little effect.

On second thought, that article about the JetBlue emergency landing and outsourcing was also slanderous to JetBlue. I highly recommend the online column by pilot Patrick Smith on Salon.com. He cuts through the blather and looks at the cold facts about aviation. Here's a bit of what he wrote on Sept. 9th:

As for "cost-cutting accidents," find me an airline anywhere, of any size and history, that is not working hard to reduce costs. And to conclude that a "cut-rate" airline increases anybody's risk "dramatically" is dishonest. And what is a "cut-rate" airline anyway? Southwest would probably fit that bill by most folks' definition, yet it's also the only U.S. major not to have a suffered a fatality over the past three decades.

... Averaged out, it's essentially a level playing field, and asking which is the safest airline to fly is a bit like asking which is the best lottery to play. If you're wondering which criteria to employ, whether you're headed for Madison or Madagascar, stick with price, schedule and service.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2005/09/09/askthepilot153/index.html?sid=1387303

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.