[lbo-talk] JetBlue: Outsourcing Our Safety

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 06:40:26 PDT 2005

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But formal regulation is irrelevent if the actual maintenance is being done
>in countries where US inspectors don't operate.

If the maintenance work can't be properly supervised then the planes shouldn't fly. That's true whether the work is done in the US, Canada, or El Salvador.

>Regulation is not some Platonic form-- it's often dependent on workers being
>able to blow the whistle on employers violating the law, since the
>government has too few inspectors. If workers rights are weak, formal
>regulation has little effect.

Workers' rights are weak in the US. Whistleblowers are often demoted or fired. We have some of the worst labor law in the world. Complaining about foreigners is a distraction.

Doug