[lbo-talk] Wow!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 4 08:20:08 PDT 2005

Michael:
> On crime stats (which no one disputes?) is this true?

Check crime victimization stats (from a survey not police reports) at http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/ or http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/cvusst.htm

especially tables 5, 40 and 46 which give you crime victim and offender stats by race. The bottom line is that blacks are more likely to be victimized than whites (30.7 vs. 22.1 per 1,000 population). While most perps of single offender crimes are white (63 of all crimes) and 21.3% are black, but it varies considerably by crime and it is much higher for blacks than their share of the population (12%). For multiple--offender crimes, all black perps account for 27.9% of all crimes in that category, while all white perps - 31.6% - again very much different form the respective shares of the population.

You can also get stats by the race of victims and the perp, as well as other useful number that make people at the NRA shake in their boots (e.g. showing that guns are weapon of choice for the perps but not for the victims).

The National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) is a good source on crime victimization because it does not rely on police reports but rather on a representative sample of the population.

As far as who denies what - I stopped reading journalistic accounts long time ago because of the high bullshit factor - if I need facts I check government statistics.

Wojtek