[lbo-talk] Wow!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 4 08:46:59 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> And speaking of the
> relation between pundits and the power elite, I'm not convinced that
> the power elite always knows what to think.

This was John Adams's point 2 centuries ago when he declared that the British government could not be depended upon to act in its own interests. It is the fly in the ointment when one tries to predict the future actions of an institution, a government, a class by describing the objective interests of the entity concerned. That kind of prediction only works if (a) the analyst is correct on what the objective interest of the particular entity is and (b) the entity knows clearly and exactly its own interests. The two estimates have to coincide for the prediction to be accurate.

Carrol