[lbo-talk] Listserv legalities: public use of private sources - what are the rules?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 11:31:43 PDT 2005

In the past, I rather freely posted material from WSJ Online -- to which I subscribe.

I stopped however when it occurred to me this may cause legal problems for Doug, Jordan, me and perhaps even my Grandmother's no good cat, Quantum Phase Inhibitor who's wanted in several states for piracy.

WSJ, for example -- though the legal questions, if any, extend beyond them of course -- warns web subscribers who opt for an article's print view that:

**This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers, use the Order Reprints tool at the bottom of any article or visit...**

This seems unambiguously to be a "thou shalt not"; still, it can't hurt to inquire.

What are the rules regarding reproducing -- in whole or in part -- articles from closed, fee-based sources like the WSJ? Does doing so expose list members and managers to risk?

.d.