[lbo-talk] Harriet Miers

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Oct 4 12:01:05 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

Jenny Brown:
> So now we know, the perfect Supreme Court nominee is one that emits no
light,
> a perfect sealed box of a candidate. What did she mean when she said she
> would 'strengthen the judiciary.' Is there some view that it's being
> weakened--by those infernal rabble in Congress and the state legislatures?

-What it means is that the corporate class needs pliable functionaries not -ideologues, and are getting just that.

Why people think Miers is anything but an ideologue on social issues is beyond me. Miers has personally contributed to right to life groups and her ONLY political contribution to a non-Texas GOP politicians was Donald Stenberg, who bought the Nebraska late term abortion case to the Supreme Court. See: http://www.nathannewman.org/log/archives/003442.shtml

She may also serve the business class well, but she's no doubt a twofer for Bush.

Nathan