[lbo-talk] KPFA (was MALIK RAHIM: Yesterday's Radicals Devolve....)

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:59:54 PDT 2005

I'm glad Doug and I agree on some basic things and of course I also join the general call for more lucidity. Where I disagree with Doug is on the idea that the LSB is seeking to 'expand its power over the entrenched'. That is certainly a view held by many members - though certainly not all staff. All the LSB is trying to do in my view is carry out its duties pursuant to the provisions of the Pacifica bylaws. ( http://www.pacifica.org/governance/PacificaBylaws-new.html ) . Reasonable people can of course disagree about what the LSB duties and responsibilities are or should be or how effective the current LSB is etc., but the LSB is definitely not trying to expand its power. Indeed, without staff buy-in to the legitimacy of the LSB it is difficult for the LSB to exercise what power it has. The idea that the LSB is 'overreaching' is a reflection of the fact that many at the station would just as soon be done with democracy and listener involvement.

In my view the main problem facing KPFA in has to do primarily with an inherent conflict between objective differences in staff and listener interests and secondarly with other things like content and some of the race/class contradictions that the left has not yet been able to resolve.. There is always going to be a segment - perhaps even a majority segment of the listeners that are passive and just want to be able to turn to 94.1 FM to seek refuge from the mainstream and are generally happy with what they hear. There is also an active segment of listeners, perhaps a minority, who feel that listeners - KPFA is listener-sponsored - should have some say in what is on the air, and that even if what is on the air is good - there is always room for improvement. The travails of the 1990s activated this latter group (who were mainly responsible for saving the network from the hijackers) who decided in their collective wisdom, that the only way to prevent future subtefuge and make sure that KPFA remains true and accountable to its listeners and its mission to to create democratic Local Station Boards where both staff and listeners have input. (there are 5 staff representatives on the 25 member board). This way you can always throw the bums out (including yours truly) if you don't like the direction in which things are going. Its not perfect, but it is better than the old vanguardist model.

For me, as long the process is democratic, it provides a potentially level playing feild for the many competing visions, rather than letting whoever happens to be on staff pretty much decide everything. I do encourage all of you who can to get involved, run for election to the board or encourage people you know to do so, join committees, etc. Despite all the apparent insanity, its really worth it.

Joe W.