[lbo-talk] Middle Class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 6 11:40:44 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Charles Brown wrote:
>>
>> >CB; I hear people say fairly commonly that "they are wiping out the middle
>> >class; there will just be rich and poor."
>>
>> True enough, but it's another matter to talk about this in the first person.
>>

>Isn't this sort of shuffling aside of theory what you objected to in
>your activistism article. Who's talking about agitational slogans? What
>is the relevance of the problems of agitation to attempts at
>understanding the fundamental dynamics of capitalism. They only
>intersect at a point near infinity.

I know that human agency isn't your strong point, but how do you expect to develop a class-based politics if people are filled with mystifications about the class nature of the society they belong to? This isn't a matter of "agitational slogans," and since it's an attempt to take seriously the role of social psychology in politics it's hardly anti-theoretical. If a lot of people shy away from the term "working class," don't you think you've got a problem on your hands? Or are you just waiting for that sudden, inexplicable, never-to-be-rushed lightning moment of enlightenment?

Doug