[lbo-talk] Middle Class

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Oct 6 14:43:56 PDT 2005

I think people started thinking of themselves as "middle class" when they began acquiring a modest amount of personal property - notably a home in the suburbs and a car to get there - and entering white collar jobs. They would describe themselves that way as a way of setting themselves apart from those still working in factories and living in rundown apartment buildings in downtown neighbourhoods - often where they grew up and where many of their family and friends still lived. The term was a measure of their social progress, and therefore a source of pride and self-esteem. Was it false consciousness? Not insofar as they had a consciousness of themselves as enjoying better conditions than other workers. Yes, when they interpreted this to mean their interests were broadly coincident with those of large property holders rather than the mass of blue collar and other workers who derived their income from wages and salaries, and who benefited rather than were penalized by the extension of social programs and access to collective bargaining rights. Since social mobility was mainly a white thing, there was, as with everything in the US, an intertwined racial component to it.

Also, I think "working class" has typically made people uncomfortable because they've been conditioned to associate it with "Communism". In my experience, the same people don't cavil when you refer instead to "working people" which has more acceptable populist connotations, and which can be used in the same way as "working class" to "raise consciousness".

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:22 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Middle Class