[lbo-talk] Facts in KPFA Dispute Hard to Grasp

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:11:42 PDT 2005

On 10/7/05, Joseph Wanzala <jwanzala at hotmail.com> wrote:

> By MARC SAPIR
> And that the staff
has to learn how to allow that community to have more influence, rather than resisting the process, if KPFA is to survive in a fascist environment.

Fascist? The East Bay is about the least fascist environment there is next to Santa Cruz and Madison, WI.

Marc Sapir is the executive director of Retro Poll.

Sapir and his firm are as these threads went into is a unreliable biased source. His firm puts out a crappy product. Like those stupid surveys the DNC and RNC send outt in their direct mail, "Do you believe the Democrats/Republicans eat babies for breakfast?" http://search.lbo-talk.org/search/swish.cgi?query=Marc+Sapir&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&sort=unixdate

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2004/2004-May/010793.html [lbo-talk] Sapir http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2004/2004-May/010806.html
> [Marc Sapir, director of RetroPoll, sent this reaction to my
> critiques of his latest. I'll let this float out into the universe
> before responding.]
> 90% of the public
> doesn't know anything about all that, so we inform them. That's part of
> our approach to reality. You don't like it, but we do.

Hm, this is a pretty obnoxious tirade. Lots of petty personal insults, an endless stream of red herrings, thin-skinned quotes about academics who may or may not be using his website, and no attempt to deal with the issues. Polls are about what people are really thinking, as opposed to what anyone else would like them to think. If you start the whole education/training thing, you're doing agitprop -- a fine thing in itself, but not a genuine poll.