[lbo-talk] Facts in KPFA Dispute Hard to Grasp

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:09:51 PDT 2005

Have some Arbitrons that show increasing influence, local, nationally, globally over the last few decades?

The Pacifica Network has a fraction of the listenership it had when I started listening to KPFK in L.A. in 1977 and KPFA when I moved up to No. Ca. in '81. No one on KPFA has the wit or political sophitication of a Dorothy Healey who had a show for decades on KPFK. besides Sasha and C.J. Soong.

The staffers, Maldari et. al. put out a professional news broadcast. About the only hour besides Sasha Lilley's worth listening to on the station. Flashpoints is whiny ranting. Same guests over and over. "And today, Michael Parenti and Barbara Lubin for the thousandth time." A listenership that objects to John Zorn or other avant music in favor of boring, hippie "folk" music.KQED and KALW are far better stations. The music on say WFMU is far more adventurous. Since Charles Amarkanian left or was fired the music has sucked bigtime on the station.

-- Michael Pugliese