[lbo-talk] UE on CAFTA

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sat Oct 8 06:42:19 PDT 2005

Nathan Newman

I was curious about -Andy Stern's statements in an impromptu press conference:

-"When asked about how to talk with the union membership, Brother Stern said, -'Blogs and the internet. Union halls and small groups aren't working.' At -one point in the interview, he made the assertion that engaging in 'class -struggle unionism was outdated' and that 'a new partnership with employers -was necessary to build unions and America.'"

^^^

CB: I'm a little confused. Since the Reuther takeover of the UAW, the red purges of 55 years ago, the labor movement has _not_ been engaged in class struggle unionism. What's outdated , or at least proven an enormous failure, is class collaboration unionism ( partnership with the employers). So, what is he talking about ? What is needed is to bring _back_ class struggle unionism.