[lbo-talk] more on the econ Nobel

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 13 11:17:05 PDT 2005

Your residual Catholicism is getting a bit rusty, Doug. The council of Chalcedon (451 CE) specifically rejected the notion that Christ was a hybrid. "Fully human," they said -- and their notion of God was not of simply another existent in the universe. Of course, there's no reason to think that even the sophisticated philosophical terms of fifteen centuries ago offer the best way to express Christian faith -- we should have learnt something in that time (as any good Aristotelian would hold). But Catholicism also surely holds that, altho' the matter could be put better, the denial of Chalcedon's statement is false.

Incidentally, one of the hottest topics in Shakespeare studies right now is the extent to which Shakespeare (I mean the author to the plays and poems, whoever he was) belonged to that church as well. Orthodox scholars (those who think the man from Stratford was the author) are in the lead, suggesting an extensive underground Catholic life for Shakespeare during the "lost years" (losing those years when he was apparently so young looks like carelessness), possibly as a tutor in a recusant family in Yorkshire, and possibly in the orbit of the Jesuit intellectual Edmund Campion, executed under Elizabeth.

It's always been difficult to explain what Hamlet's father is doing in purgatory when purgatory has been officially outlawed; and the positive treatment in the plays of the members of the Catholic clergy -- regarded in Elizabeth's England as CP members and Soviet spies were in 1950s America -- has always been a puzzle. Recently the literary evidence for Shakespeare's Catholicism has been gathered (some would say over-gathered) by Clare Asquith in a nevertheless entertaining book, SHADOWPLAY: THE HIDDEN BELIEFS AND CODED POLITICS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE. Even more impressively, the philosopher John Finnis has decoded a late and obscure Shakespeare poem (untitled, but usually called THE PHOENIX AND THE TURTLE) and shown that it celebrates a Catholic woman, Ann Line, who was executed for religion by Elizabeth.

--CGE