[lbo-talk] blog!

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:26:18 PDT 2005

On 10/14/05, Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> wrote:

> That was the Revolutionary Communist League, wasn't
> it?
> The one that Baraka was in.
>
> Thomas

League of Revolutionary Struggle (Frank Bardacke despised them for their disruptive role in the Watsonville Cannery Workers strike. Mike Murase, a Maxine Waters staffer, and LRS cadre who ran the office of the Rainbow in Ca. was under the delusion that the Jesse Jackson campaign in the 8th C.D. in '88 was under the hegemony of Line of March and engaged in numerous petty maneuvers impacting outreach to the Asian and Pacific Islander communities, funding for campaign activities and the election of delegates to the national DP convention that summer.Wasn't able to prevent the election of a Venceremos Brigadista as a Jackson delegate though ;-) Baraka attempted to recruit my friend Eric Kirk over dinner in Santa Cruz once.An LRS member I knew at UCSC, a brilliant grad student who later went to Yale English Dept. and was called, "an obnoxious marxist, " by Harold Bloom, told me once over hamburgers and fries near the beach in Santa Cruz that, "even social democrats like you should get a pit bull for protection."

The Stanford undergrad library has bound volumes of the newspaper of the Congress of Afrikan Peoples, the org. that Baraka was a leader of before LRS. Fascinating to flip through.

-- Michael Pugliese