[lbo-talk] What Does It Matter Who Is Speaking?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 14 11:33:11 PDT 2005

Justin:
> So yes, it matters who says it.

Yeah, I realized that as soon as I posted the previous message. The only thing that I would add is "sometimes" following the comma.

As to identity politics, my favorite literary reference is _The Magician of Lublin_ by Isaac Bashevis Singer - the protagonist (Yasha) is a circus performer who also juggles his identities as needed until he breaks his legs and experiences other misfortunes which end his prestidigitatory pursuits in both fields. The ending is imho rather depressing, the walking the fine line part is its main virtue of the novel. The lesson, I guess, is that identity politics is fine as long one is able to walk that fine line, but it is quite depressing when one is forced into it by misfortune of political choices made by others. The Lueger's remark, as you mentioned, makes sense only if one can walk that fine line, and loses its meaning when that option is no longer available. Which brings us to the conclusion that it is not as much "who" as "under what circumstances or historical conditions" what really matters.

Wojtek