[lbo-talk] Drop the Debt

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 17 04:53:23 PDT 2005

There ought to be a Drop the Debt campaign for Americans. There is a Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

...global justice movement to drop the debt of highly indebted poor countries, but there is none to drop the debt of American workers, or at least curb usurious interest rates, proliferating high fees, and so on (cf. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit/>) that impoverish us and enrich no one but banks and credit companies. Justice ought to begin at home. The weakness of American leftists is that, more often than not, activism that addresses foreign policy (debt, war, etc.) is divorced from activism that tackles domestic concerns. Those who can't make demands for themselves can't and won't make demands for others.

Love those sentiments zeroing in on the weakness of American leftists, Yoshie. It seems so easy to criticize political-economic problems when they're away, way, away from our everyday lives. "Ah yes, let's suggest this foreign policy for 'our' nation." But, when it comes to Alice, the secretary who is about to lose her job, it becomes so easy to turn a blind eye. It's less of a risk, really. One wouldn't want to disturb the peace in the barnyard.

Sure, let's force the ruling class to get out of Iraq and elsewhere. But, we've only got so much time in a day. Let's make our nearest fellow workers (wherever we are on this planet) a priority.

Cheers, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/