[lbo-talk] Re: working class?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Oct 18 08:48:42 PDT 2005

Sure, its the nature of things in a class society that the lower class want to have someone to look down on. If you accept that's the way things are and must always be, that makes it bearable. Trust me, even the unemployed look down on someone.

At my co-op meeting today, we're discussing getting someone to fill a vacancy and this bloke (mate of mine actually) starts crapping on about how we want to avoid letting in any low-life. "Hang on," I say, "that's what we're here for isn't it? To house the low-life" "We're all low-life aren't we?" For Christ's sake, everyone in the co-op is on the pension or on the dole, but of course the people on the pension think they're better than the people on the dole and the people on the dole think they're better than someone who lives in a crap area and so it goes.

But don't lecture me, don't try to tell me that that's just the way it is, that I have to accept that and to work within its limitations. I don't accept that the this system is the way it always has to be, so it follows that I don't accept that the way people think about class is something that has to be incorporated into any organisation. (And vice versa in your case, I accuse).

Because, fellow worker, the way people view class is part of the problem, not part of the solution. To organise around a fictional class analysis is strategic poison. Class unity is the only viable strategic plan, organising around class disunity, as you advise, would be patently absurd. We all have to wake up to ourselves, or we'll stay right here, up shit without a paddle.

Incidentally, I didn't say I don't think those things matter to organisation. As you can see, I think they are of the very highest importance. If you are organising in support of the status quo, it might even be useful to accept the ideology of the status quo. But I'm not interested in that, I'm interested in challenging the system and plainly it is necessary to point out where its ideology is in conflict with reality

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas.