[lbo-talk] Re: working class?

Matt lbo3 at beyondzero.net
Tue Oct 18 12:16:16 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 09:36:08AM -0400, Dick Grippon wrote:
> Look. When I studied downsized managers and professionals, they simply
> didn't see themselves as low-life working class people. Some of them
> started to get a clue--even saying things like, "Gee, maybe this is what
> unions are for...." But, in the end, they couldn't bear to be thought of as
> working class and didn't see themselves as such. That is because it is a
> shameful thing to be thought of as working class in this country. You ,now
> that, if youre hands are dirty or your clothes are stained from work,
> people like Wojtek think you're a racist scumbag. So, you try to avoid
> appearing to be working class, as best as you can figure out. At the least,
> you don't say you are.

Hey, check out Barbara Freeborn from the Times class analysis last spring:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2005/05/14/national/class/20050515OVERVIEW_VOICES_SLIDESHOW_4.html

That article prompted a friend and I to pick her apart a bit:

http://blogdayafternoon.com/articles/05/05/31/5585285/

They work for $150,000 per year - and they are upper class (according to Barbara Freeborn)!

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

This is a good game, it's called, The Truth.

-Dimitri Moisevitch