[lbo-talk] the 50-word story

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Oct 18 13:16:23 PDT 2005

Joanna:

> Man, I hate it when profs dump on students. Sudents are students.
> They're big kids, just hardly starting to disentangle themselves from
> their parents, while looking into the looming abyss of the 9-5.
>
> C'mon.

Hear, hear. What's easy for we professors and teachers -- reading tons of texts, picking apart arguments, deciphering Wall Streetese -- is damn difficult for students. It's especially tough on students who don't have accumulated cultural capital, e.g. are the first in their family to go to college, female students, students of color, etc.

-- DRR